Floods support available for businesses and residents

Following the terrible flooding in the area, Hebden Royd Town Council is committed to supporting the community where possible, and  there are grant funds available for projects within the Hebden Royd area.

The Town Council welcomes applications from community groups and organisations that provide activities which benefit the residents of Cragg Vale, Hebden Bridge and Mytholmroyd.

Applications for the next round of funding must be submitted by 12noon on Monday 29th February.  If you are interested in applying, in the first instance please visit our website www.hebdenroyd.org.uk for further information, revised criteria and downloadable forms, alternatively please contact the office on 01422 842181.

Calderdale Council - Flood Support

Calderdale Council is actively supporting home owners and businesses;  Below is a breakdown of what financial support is available, whether you are eligible and how to apply:

Support for Residents

£500 Hardship Fund

If your home was flooded, a one off payment of £500 per household is available. This grant aims to support your recovery costs, e.g. repairs or paying for alternative accommodation. In the majority of cases, the payment will be made to the person who is named as the council tax payer in the property – in rented accommodation this will be the tenant. 

Council Tax relief for residents

Where we know properties have been flooded, you will automatically be eligible for Council Tax relief for a minimum of 3 months and a maximum of 6 months. Your Council Tax account will automatically be adjusted with a 3 month discount on properties that we know have been flooded. If you have had to move out of your property because it was flooded, you must contact us for the extended Council Tax exemption and tell us when you will return to your property. 

Help available through the Discretionary Housing Payment scheme

Anyone who has had to leave their home temporarily due to flooding and is in receipt of Housing Benefit may be able to get additional assistance with the following: Bond payments if moving into a private tenancy, removal costs and a shortfall in rent if temporarily moving into a property larger than the household needs.

Please note that the above applies to people who live on a boat as their main accommodation and who were also affected by the flooding.

Repair and Renew Grant Scheme for Businesses, Community Organisations and Residents

Up to £5,000 can be claimed for work that will help to protect buildings against future flooding. This can be for work which will help to reduce flood damage, or which will make it easier to clean up and dry out a home or business afterwards. This could include installing removable cupboards, self-closing airbricks and non-return valves, replacing wooden floors with polished concrete or tiles and using water resistant mortar and lime based plaster when doing repairs.

Support for Businesses

The business team continue to visit flood affected areas to get in touch with as many businesses as possible to help them access the funding. Business rates will be suspended for three months for affected businesses, and the Council can confirm that flood affected businesses in Calderdale are eligible to apply for a business flood recovery grant of up to £2,500 to help businesses get up and running. Organisations including charities, academy schools and churches may also apply for business support.

For further details of the above support, please visit Calderale Council's dedicated web page

Community Foundation for Calderdale Flood Support

The Community Foundation for Calderdale are offering emergency grants of £200 for people affected by the flooding; to date approximately 900 applications to the emergency relief fund have been processed, part of this process includes our due diligence procedure, prior to awarding grants, with more applications being received daily. Grants are being awarded from Friday 8th January 2016. For further information visit  www.cffc.co.uk/flood-aid