Climate Emergency Committee 2022 summary
We are proud to described a very productive year! To summarise our key successes / developments were:
- Our Climate Emergency Action plan being fully revised and updated in discussion with local partner organisations and experts. It was also renamed the Climate Emergency and Biodiversity Action Plan to also reflect our Biodiversity Objectives
- Our carbon emissions awareness raising 'market stall' being present at many events throughout the year
- Funding 'Climate Fresk' workshops on climate change
- Joint working with Calderdale Council who installed several new cycle parks in Hebden Royd
- Creating and publicising a map and information regarding new peat burning regulations
- The Climate Emergency and Biodiversity post becoming a Permanent role within the Hebden Royd Town Council
- Working with HRTC Events Committee to create a highly successful Climate Emergency Themed Pumpkin Festival event
Relating to our High Hirst Woodmeadow project:
- The High Hirst Woodmeadow became a designated Local Wildlife Site after meeting the criteria for ancient grasslands species and fungi.
- Successfully bidding for £7200 of National Lottery community funds 'Together for our Planet' programme to develop our High Hirst Woodmeadow Project. With these funds we had our first year of events which included an introduction walk round to the meadow, Meadows day event, scything training, hay making and fungi survey and walks!
(Early in 2023 the rest of these funds have been used towards developing a level access path at the top of the site, wetland habitat and interpretation boards).
Cllr Nikki Harvey said, "we are very proud of our achievements in 2022 and are grateful to the work of our previous Climate Emergency and Biodiversity Coordinator Jon Kedwards who brought his skills to the role to help us reach these. We are excited to continue the work on our Action Plan in 2023 with Rachel Lightbird who is now in the role working with our Committee. She brings wealth of experience working with schools, young people and community projects related to Climate Change and we are looking forward to working with her towards our Action Plan goals."
Added: Monday, 13 February 2023